Friday 24 November 2023

DLC #176 - Rocket League - AquaDome

One of my favourite things to experience in games is references to other games that have driven content or sparked inspiration, especially when the crossover is so unexpected.

This is exactly what AquaDome does. It adds the underwater arena reminiscent of the sea-based environments of Bioshock, and the references are even less subtle within some of the trophy requirements.

The AquaDome arena is cool. It's dynamic with sea creatures that roam on the outside of the playing area, such as sharks, jellyfish and turtles, and just about visible through the murky waters are other synonymous objects such as shipwrecks, coral and seaweed.

A couple of new car bodies are also added, as well as the new Rumble game mode - A variation on Soccar where modifiers are triggered at set intervals that influence the flow of the game. These include the ability to freeze the ball dead, reverse your opponents controls and magnetise the ball. It's a wild game variation and I was a little bit disappointed it didn't have a heavier focus within the trophies on offer here.

Speaking of which, there are 7 available, with a random assortment of tasks throughout.

As mentioned, there are a couple of trophies dedicated to Rumble mode, but these are fairly easy to obtain, as well as a couple of nice references to Bioshock for performing specific goalscoring actions on the AquaDome arena - Slightly more challenging, but easy enough to set-up yourself in exhibition mode.

However, the random nature of these Rocket League lists means you never know what's waiting for you next, and courtesy of this, there is a standout Gold trophy that will require some decent grinding;

Rocket Repleter - Make 535 Shots on Goal

The "Rocket Repleter" trophy, awarded for Making 535 Shots on Goal, isn't exactly cryptic in it's description, but it is a seriously high volume.

I didn't initially have this on my radar, because I felt that, despite this being a pretty big total to amass, I would be able to make fairly great strides towards it as I went through the other DLC packs over the course of time.

However, as I approach the end of this journey, I had to consciously check my progress, and whilst at first it didn't appear I was that far off my target, I also didn't realise that the "Shots on Goal" statistic recorded within the profile menu, is actually also not an accurate reflection on my progress because the progress towards this trophy is only tracked as of the AquaDome update, and everything recorded before this is unaccounted for.

So when my profile read 470 underneath the "Shots on Goal" statistic, I was in actual fact, on around 370. The trophy triggered for me on exactly 700, and I ended up just having to play the game casually to accumulate the remainder - Which wasn't really an issue, it just meant it took longer than I anticipated because the trophy overworks you for what is already a fairly steep requirement.

I did accidentally discover a solid tactic fairly late on this journey. There is a game mode called Heatseeker, where every time you hit the ball, it'll gravitate towards the opponents goal. This is a guaranteed shot on goal every single time, and is an easy way to accumulate towards this target. It would have saved me alot of time had I discovered it sooner, and I probably wouldn't be talking about this particular trophy in the same way, but we live and learn.

You should be able to naturally tandem this trophy with everything else across all DLC packs. After all, that was always the plan - I just wasn't aware of the fact the shots on goal only counted from the update onwards, and were not retrospectively tracked, which made things a bit grindier than I first thought. Had I also discovered Heatseeker sooner, this would have been a complete breeze.

Either way, just one more pack to go before we finally put Rocket League to bed for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment