Tuesday 14 April 2020

DLC #130 - Rocket League - Utopia Coliseum

So, here it is.

A barrage of downloadable content from Rocket League, spanning a total of 9 packs, which puts it up there as one of the most heavily supported post-game titles in the Playstation catalogue.

These 9 sets of trophies all came as part of game updates, both large and small, and will not be reviewed in any particular order. Some of the larger updates have included additions of completely new game modes and big features, where some of the smaller updates have just been to keep the game fresh.

Utopia Coliseum fits firmly into the latter, adding just 3 new trophies to game, and was released as the very first DLC pack to kick start this onslaught of Rocket League post-launch content. The pack adds the Utopia Coliseum stadium, a standard arena to be played under regular Rocket League rules. There is no additional content added as part of this update.

As a general note regarding all DLC, there is some crossover here, whereby I had already unlocked a handful of these trophies from previous stints with the game where I would play it purely under a recreational basis, and the reason this particular pack is first is because I had already unlocked 2 of the 3 trophies on offer, and accidentally unlocked the final trophy without even consciously attempting for it, and not necessarily because it just so happens to be the first pack in sequential order.

Even though Utopia Coliseum only adds a hat-trick of trophies, this is potentially a bit of a mixed bag.

Play a game in any respect you wish on the Utopia Coliseum stadium, regardless of the outcome. One trophy down. Win a 4 v 4 game in any respect you wish on any map. There's another trophy for you. In fact, tandem them together and you can unlock both at the same time for half the effort.

The other trophy is worth discussing though;

Sky High - Score an Aerial Goal.
The "Sky High" trophy, awarded for Scoring an Aerial Goal, might seem quite innocuous. After all, you only need score 1 of them, right?

I actually unlocked this trophy without any sort of awareness I had fulfilled the requirements of it, and the actual requirements of this are somewhat undefined. There is a belief that you have to be above the goal height when you make contact with the ball prior to it going into the net for it to be attributed as an Aerial Goal, which I can testify to after watching back the goal I scored which triggered this trophy.

I believe the game envisions what the typical Aerial goal would look like, and this would involve the player boosting into the air at a vertical angle, and making contact with the ball from above towards the ground in a goalbound fashion, or, perhaps, running up the wall of the arena, coming off to make contact with the ball and fire it goalwards from a mid-air position.

What I'm trying to get at here is the fact that this is a very advanced technique, and asks alot of your average pick up and play player like myself, and I actually unlocked this trophy through a complete fluke whereby the ball was deflected off the underside of my car via another car attempting to make a clearance whilst I was aimlessly boosting through the air, which fired the ball down into the ground, and into the back of the net. A sheer stroke of luck.

A quick glance at my stats shows I have now scored 1 Aerial Goal in 102 matches, which is a good measure of perspective on the level of mastery required to pull this feat off, and that my normal game is to such a level to expect Aerial Goals are a skill I have not played enough to possess. Purely because of this, I feel like it's important to detail the real challenge behind this trophy that I would have struggled with without a huge slice of luck (Which I will gladly take).

Judging by my own statistics, it seems I was quite fortunate. That's not to say it's difficult to learn how to score from Aerial positions, but I don't run into many players Online who seem to be capable enough of playing to that standard, so I will assume this is a niche skill that not many players possess. At least, not at my skill level anyway...

You can grab the other trophies very quickly, and without any hassle, and you may want to see how you go before you put any specific attention onto trying to score an Aerial Goal, just to see if you find a way to achieve it somehow. If you're left with just this trophy at the end of your journey though, you could struggle unless you're willing to master this technique. I'll set a timeframe down as non-applicable due to the erratic nature of this trophy, as it will vary way too much from player to player.

No comments:

Post a Comment